Herby Parmesan Mushroom Pot Pie
creamy, comforting, and filled to the brim with ‘shrooms!
- 2 tbsp neutral cooking oil (I used avocado)
- 4 oz shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium shallot sliced thinly
- 4 cloves garlic sliced thinly
- 2 sprigs rosemary leaves only, remove the stems
- 2 sprigs thyme leaves only, remove the stems
- 8-10 leaves sage
- 4 oz mixed mushrooms of your choice (I used a blend of oyster, crimini, and shiitake) chopped
- 1 tbsp saké (you can substitute with a dry white wine)
- 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (I used Annie's vegetarian sauce)
- 3/4 cup cream
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano grated
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- readymade pie crust (I used Pillsbury's)
- 1 egg whisked in a bowl to use as egg wash
- 2 sprigs thyme to garnish
- flaky salt to garnish
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
Crispy Shiitake Topping
Heat up 2 tbsp of oil in a pan on medium heat.
Add in the sliced shiitake mushrooms and spread them out so they’re not touching each other. You may need to do this in two batches.
Shallow fry the shiitake on each side until golden brown. Season them with salt before removing them from the pan. Set them aside.
Creamy Parmesan Mushroom Filling
Heat up 1 tbsp of oil and 2 tbsp of butter in the pan on medium heat.
Add in the shallots, garlic, bay leaf, and all of the fresh herbs. Add salt to taste.
Sauté until the shallots and garlic start to turn golden and the herbs darken. Make sure the herbs don’t burn!
Add in all of the chopped mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms brown slightly. Add salt to taste.
Add in one tablespoon of sake or white wine to deglaze the pan.
Add in the Worcestershire and cream to the pan.
Add in the grated parmesan and cook down the mixture for 2-3 minutes until it thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste, and finish it with a pinch of nutmeg.
Assembling/Baking the Pie
Cut out two pie crusts that are about 1/2 inch wider in diameter than the top of the ramekin.
Divide the creamy mushroom mixture evenly between the ramekins.
Top the creamy mixture with the shallow fried shiitake mushrooms.
Make a small cross in the top of the pie crust to allow steam to escape and brush both sides with egg wash.
Place the pie crust on the ramekin and crimp the edges with a fork.
Top with flaky salt and a sprig of thyme.
Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Check the progress of the crust at around 20 minutes to ensure it doesn’t overcook.
When the crust is golden brown, remove it from the oven and let it cool for about 10 minutes and then dig in!