These Indo-Chinese inspired Manchurian burgers are MESSY but taste SO DANG GOOD! We made these for our family Christmas party last year and they were a huge hit! They are layered with Manchurian sauce, vegetable Manchurian patties, pepperjack cheese, caramelized onions, and fried onions!
If you’ve never had Manchurian sauce in any form before, its basically an Indo-Chinese creation of a ginger-garlicky sauce with soy sauce and spice. Gobi (cauliflower) Manchurian is probably the most popular Manchurian sauce based dish but I love using Manchurian sauce in a variety of other things like noodles, quinoa/rice dishes, burgers (see below 🤪), paneer, etc.
The most time consuming part about making these burgers is probably making all of the burger patties themselves, but you can definitely just use your favorite veggie burger patty as a substitute if you’d like. Don’t skip out on the sauces or the onions though, they’re the best part!
Vegetable Manchurian Burger
- ¼ whole green cabbage (roughly 200 grams)
- ½ whole cauliflower (roughly 270 grams)
- 1 whole carrot
- 1 whole green pepper
- 4 tbsp scallions chopped
- ⅛ cup corn starch
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp Ching's manchurian masala (optional, can be replaced with equal parts garlic powder and ginger powder)
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 whole white onion sliced
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp sriracha
- Chop up the cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, and green peppers into small pieces. Use a food processor if possible.
- Mix the chopped vegetables with the scallions, all-purpose flour, corn starch, breadcrumbs, manchurian seasoning, soy sauce, and chili powder to make the burger mixture.
- Add in salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat up a pan or griddle on medium heat.
- Place oil on the pan.
- Scoop the burger mixture using an ice cream scoop and place onto the pan, shape into a patty shape. Cook each patty covered for approximately 3 minutes on each side until browned. Covering the pattys with a lid will help the filling cook all the way through.
- Chop the white onion into slices.
- Heat up a tbsp of oil on a pan.
- Add in the sliced onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add in the soy sauce and sriracha sauce until the onions are cooked down and stringy in appearance.
- Set aside the onions to place as a topping for the burgers.
Assembling the Burgers
- Toast the buns lightly with butter.
- Spread the In n Out Sauce on both sides of the bun.
- Place lettuce slices on the bottom bun.
- Place a slice of pepperjack cheese on top of the lettuce.
- Place a burger patty and pour some manchurian sauce on top.
- Add caramelized onions and fried onions.
- Close the burger and enjoy! (keep a lot of napkins on hand, the burger is DRIPPY!)
Enjoy and please leave any feedback or questions in the comments below!