This dish is my Indian-ish take on shakshuka, which is a Middle Eastern dish consisting of egg poached in a spiced tomato sauce. I’ve combined shakshuka with rajma, a North-Indian kidney beans gravy to make a dish that would make for a great hearty dinner or a fun fusion weekend brunch.
The dish consists of kidney beans in a tomato, onion, and red bell pepper based sauce with a combination of Middle Eastern and Indian spices, and is topped with an egg and some cilantro. I ate mine with a piece of butter naan, but you can eat this with a slice of sourdough, a paratha, a bhatura, really any kind of bread you’d like!
This dish is my Indian-ish take on shakshuka, which is a Middle Eastern dish consisting of egg poached in a spiced tomato sauce. I've combined shakshuka with rajma, a North-Indian kidney beans gravy to make a dish that would make for a great hearty dinner or a fun fusion weekend brunch.
- 1 cup kidney beans soaked and cooked
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp ghee or vegetable oil
- 8 cloves garlic
- 4-5 tomatoes 2 cups blended
- 1 onion 1 cup diced
- 2 red bell peppers 1 cup diced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch asofoetida
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp red chili powder adjust this based on your spice tolerance
- 2 tsp paprika
- Soak the kidney beans overnight and then cook them before you start cooking. I cooked mine in my Instant Pot with 1 1/2 cup water for 18 mins on high pressure with natural release.
- Heat up 2 tbsp of oil or ghee in a 12-inch pan on medium heat.
- Add in the asofoetida, cumin seeds, caraway seeds, and bay leaf to the oil and let it splatter for about 30 seconds.
- Add in the diced garlic and let it sauté until it starts to turn golden brown.
- Add in the diced onions and sauté for a few minutes until they turn translucent.
- Add in the tomato paste and the diced bell pepper and continue to sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in the blended tomatoes, the garam masala, turmeric, cumin powder, red chili powder, and paprika.
- Cook the tomatoes down for 5-10 minutes until the water from the tomatoes evaporate and it turns into a paste-like mixture.
- Add in the kidney beans along with 1 cup of water and salt to taste. Mix everything together thoroughly and let it simmer for about a minute.
- Make 4 wells in the mixture and crack an egg into each well. Cover the pan with a lid and turn the heat down to low.
- Let the egg whites cook through about 90% of the way and then take the pan off of heat. Poke into the egg yolk and mix up the yolk with the sauce and eat with bread or naan while it's hot!
- You want to make sure to not overcook the egg in order to achieve a good runny yolk. Remember the egg will continue to cook from the heat of the sauce so make sure to take it off the stove and uncover the pan as soon as the egg whites are about 90% set.
- You can add harissa paste to this as well to impart some additional Middle Eastern flavor.
- If you are making less servings, use a smaller sized pan to ensure that the egg cooks properly. I use an 8 inch pan for one serving and a 10 inch pan for 2 servings.
Enjoy this recipe and please let me know of any feedback or submit any questions in the comments!
Looks delicious! 😋
thank you! 😊
Looks tasty! I’ll have to try it!
Thank you! I hope you like it 😊
this looks amazing! Love the idea of using some leftover dal and adding some protein for a quick upgrade!