This pasta recipe is basically the filling of my herby mushroom pot pie recipe, except added to pasta and topped with some pan-fried shiitake mushrooms. It’s creamy, delicious, and a great weeknight meal to make when you want something comforting that comes together in less than an hour.
Herby Parmesan Mushroom Linguini
- 2 tbsp neutral cooking oil
- 2 oz shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium shallot sliced thinly
- 4 cloves garlic sliced thinly
- 1 sprig rosemary leaves only, remove the stems
- 2 sprigs thyme leaves only, remove the stems
- 8-10 leaves sage
- 4 oz mixed mushrooms of your choice (I used a blend of oyster, crimini, and shiitake) diced
- 1 tbsp saké (you can substitute with a dry white wine)
- ½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce (I used Annie's vegetarian sauce)
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup parmigiano reggiano freshly grated
- 8 oz linguini cooked al denté
- ½ cup pasta water reserved from cooking the linguini
- 1 pinch nutmeg
Crispy Shiitake Topping
- Heat up 1 tbsp of oil in a pan on medium heat
- Add in the sliced shiitake mushrooms and spread them out so they’re not touching each other. You may need to do this in two batches.
- Shallow fry the shiitake on each side until golden brown. Season them with salt before removing them from the pan. Set them aside on a paper towel-lined plate to soak up any excess oil.
- Heat up 1 tbsp of oil and 2 tbsp of butter in the pan on medium heat.
- Add in the shallots, garlic, and all of the fresh herbs. Add salt to taste.
- Sauté until the shallots and garlic start to turn translucent and the herbs darken slightly. Make sure the herbs don’t burn!
- Add in all of the chopped mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms brown slightly. Add salt to taste.
- Add in one tablespoon of sake or white wine to deglaze the pan.
- Add in the Worcestershire sauce and cream to the pan.
- Add in the cooked linguini and grated parmesan, and cook down the mixture for 2-3 minutes until it thickens.
- Add in the reserved pasta water, salt and pepper to taste, and finish it with a pinch of nutmeg.
- Plate the pasta and top it with the pan-fried shiitake; serve while hot and enjoy!
Enjoy and please comment below with any thoughts or questions!
I would love to see your creations! If you try the recipe, please feel free to share it with me on my Instagram @jankipatel_ !