Herby Parmesan Mushroom Pot Pie
Creamy, comforting, savory, delicious. This pot pie is filled to the brim with mushrooms! It’s a perfect entrée option for holiday dinners. The recipe and measurements are for two mini pot pies, enough to serve one for a hearty dinner, or two people if served with a side or salad.
I used store-bought pie crust for this, however if you’d like to make your own pie crust I would suggest following any sort of flaky crust recipe. You can also use puff pastry instead of pie crust for extra flake!
I used shiitake, crimini, and oyster mushrooms to make this, but you can use any blend you’d like! The filling would also make a lovely pasta sauce (if thinned out a bit).
I used these 8 oz ramekins that are 4.3 inches in diameter to make the small pot pies. You can also use a larger 16 oz pie pan and just make one normal sized pie. I used these moon cake molds to cut out the flower shapes to decorate the pie and make it a bit more festive.
Herby Parmesan Mushroom Pot Pie
- 8 oz ramekins
- 2 tbsp neutral cooking oil (I used avocado)
- 4 oz shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium shallot sliced thinly
- 4 cloves garlic sliced thinly
- 2 sprigs rosemary leaves only, remove the stems
- 2 sprigs thyme leaves only, remove the stems
- 8-10 leaves sage
- 4 oz mixed mushrooms of your choice (I used a blend of oyster, crimini, and shiitake) chopped
- 1 tbsp saké (you can substitute with a dry white wine)
- 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (I used Annie's vegetarian sauce)
- 3/4 cup cream
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano grated
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- readymade pie crust (I used Pillsbury's)
- 1 egg whisked in a bowl to use as egg wash
- 2 sprigs thyme to garnish
- flaky salt to garnish
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425.
Crispy Shiitake Topping
- Heat up 2 tbsp of oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Add in the sliced shiitake mushrooms and spread them out so they’re not touching each other. You may need to do this in two batches.
- Shallow fry the shiitake on each side until golden brown. Season them with salt before removing them from the pan. Set them aside.
Creamy Parmesan Mushroom Filling
- Heat up 1 tbsp of oil and 2 tbsp of butter in the pan on medium heat.
- Add in the shallots, garlic, bay leaf, and all of the fresh herbs. Add salt to taste.
- Sauté until the shallots and garlic start to turn golden and the herbs darken. Make sure the herbs don’t burn!
- Add in all of the chopped mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms brown slightly. Add salt to taste.
- Add in one tablespoon of sake or white wine to deglaze the pan.
- Add in the Worcestershire and cream to the pan.
- Add in the grated parmesan and cook down the mixture for 2-3 minutes until it thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste, and finish it with a pinch of nutmeg.
Assembling/Baking the Pie
- Cut out two pie crusts that are about 1/2 inch wider in diameter than the top of the ramekin.
- Divide the creamy mushroom mixture evenly between the ramekins.
- Top the creamy mixture with the shallow fried shiitake mushrooms.
- Make a small cross in the top of the pie crust to allow steam to escape and brush both sides with egg wash.
- Place the pie crust on the ramekin and crimp the edges with a fork.
- Top with flaky salt and a sprig of thyme.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Check the progress of the crust at around 20 minutes to ensure it doesn’t overcook.
- When the crust is golden brown, remove it from the oven and let it cool for about 10 minutes and then dig in!
Enjoy and please comment below with any thoughts or questions!
I would love to see your creations! If you try the recipe, please feel free to share it with me on my Instagram @jankipatel_ !